The Webster Groves Public Library offers a video conversion service. VHS and VHS-C cassette tapes containing original media can be converted into a digital format and saved on a DVD or flash drive. The service is available whenever the Library is open and it will be performed by the Library’s staff. Patrons may leave tapes at the Reference Desk and they will be converted as the equipment becomes available on a first come, first served basis.
The Webster Groves Public Library will not be held responsible for any errors which occur, including but not limited to: errors in the conversion process; errors pertaining to the quality of the cassette; errors pertaining to the equipment or software; or damage of any type to the original cassette tapes or media to which the digital files are transferred.
To have materials converted, patrons must follow these parameters:
- Tapes should be dropped off at the Reference Desk.
- Patrons may drop off no more than 3 tapes or up to 6 hours of material at a time. Patrons can bring up to 3 more when they pick up their completed materials.
- Patrons must sign a release before leaving materials.
- There will be no guarantee of time to complete the conversion.
- Patrons must pick up their completed items within 14 days of being notified of their completion.
- Materials which are subject to copyright or otherwise protected from reproduction under the law may not be submitted for conversion. In the event of an unlawful conversion by either a staff member acting for a patron, or the patron, the patron agrees to indemnify the Library for any damages the Library suffers as a result of the patron’s actions/request.
- Patrons will need to bring a recordable DVD or flash drive to transfer the file to. DVDs are available at the library for $0.25 apiece.